1/5 Photos of Autumn Pear / Apple Pudding Cake
1 hr 20 mins
Pa. Hiker's Note:
This is an easy and popular reciepe, unique if you make it with pears. My family gobbles it up in less time than it takes to make. Great recipe to take to a covered dish gathering.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium pears or 3 medium apples, peeled,cored,sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup hot tap water
- 1Choose pears or apples, if you pick pears use the ginger, for apples use the cinnamon.
- 2There are two parts to this recipe, the cake and the topping.
- 3To make the cake: Lightly grease an 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan.
- 4Place the fruit in the pan, and sprinkle it with the lemon juice.
- 5In a medium-sized bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, baking powder, spice, and salt till smooth.
- 6Beat in the egg, then add the flour alternately with the milk (1/2 cup flour, the milk, remaining 1/2 cup flour), beating after each addition.
- 7Spoon the batter over the fruit in the pan, spreading it to mostly cover.
- 8To make the topping: Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, and spice.
- 9Sprinkle this mixture over the batter, then carefully pour the hot water over all.
- 10It will puddle on top; that’s OK.
- 11Bake the cake in a preheated 375°F oven for about 60 minutes, until it’s nicely browned on the top.
- 12Remove it from the oven, and serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- 13Yield: 8 to 9 servings.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Pear / Apple Pudding Cake
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.7
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 246.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 37.8 g
- Protein 3.2 g