Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use a paella pan.
Make and share this Autumn Paella With Chicken, Sausage, Shrimp, and Olives recipe from Food.com.
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage or 3⁄4 lb hot Italian sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 lbs chicken thighs (skin on, bone-in)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 3⁄4 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry or 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth or 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons stemmed fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 1⁄2 cups arborio rice or 2 1⁄2 cups valencia rice
- 1⁄4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup halved pitted green olives
- In a pan, heat the broth, salt, and saffron over medium heat until steaming; do not boil.
- Cover, decrease heat to very low, and keep warm without simmering.
- Heat a 14-inch paella pan over medium heat.
- Swirl in the olive oil; then add the sausage.
- Cook until browned, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer sausage to a large plate.
- Add chicken thighs to paella pan; cook, turning a couple of times, until browned, about 8 minutes; transfer to the plate as well.
- Position oven rack in the center of oven and preheat oven the 375°.
- Meanwhile, pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan; add in onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes and sherry; stir in the smoked paprika and thyme; bring to a simmer.
- Continue cooking until almost all the liquid in the pan has been absorbed, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the rice; continue stirring over the heat until translucent, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the warmed broth mixture; bring to a full simmer.
- Decrease heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken thighs and sausage to the pan, tucking them into the simmering rice.
- Arrange the shrimp over the top of the dish, pressing them down just slightly into the sauce.
- Sprinkle the olives over the dish.
- Place in the oven and bake about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken thighs are cooked.
- Transfer to a wire rack, cover tightly with foil, and set aside at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.