1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Use a paella pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 lb sweet Italian sausage or 3/4 lb hot Italian sausage, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 lbs chicken thighs (skin on, bone-in)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 3/4 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup dry sherry or 1/2 cup dry vermouth or 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons stemmed fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 2 1/2 cups arborio rice or 2 1/2 cups valencia rice
- 1/4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup halved pitted green olives
- 1In a pan, heat the broth, salt, and saffron over medium heat until steaming; do not boil.
- 2Cover, decrease heat to very low, and keep warm without simmering.
- 3Heat a 14-inch paella pan over medium heat.
- 4Swirl in the olive oil; then add the sausage.
- 5Cook until browned, turning occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- 6Transfer sausage to a large plate.
- 7Add chicken thighs to paella pan; cook, turning a couple of times, until browned, about 8 minutes; transfer to the plate as well.
- 8Position oven rack in the center of oven and preheat oven the 375°.
- 9Meanwhile, pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat from the pan; add in onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- 10Pour in the tomatoes and sherry; stir in the smoked paprika and thyme; bring to a simmer.
- 11Continue cooking until almost all the liquid in the pan has been absorbed, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 12Stir in the rice; continue stirring over the heat until translucent, about 1 minute.
- 13Pour in the warmed broth mixture; bring to a full simmer.
- 14Decrease heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 15Return the chicken thighs and sausage to the pan, tucking them into the simmering rice.
- 16Arrange the shrimp over the top of the dish, pressing them down just slightly into the sauce.
- 17Sprinkle the olives over the dish.
- 18Place in the oven and bake about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken thighs are cooked.
- 19Transfer to a wire rack, cover tightly with foil, and set aside at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Seasonal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Seasonal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Paella With Chicken, Sausage, Shrimp, and Olives
Serving Size: 1 (514 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 828.8
- Calories from Fat 337
- Total Fat 37.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 177.6 mg
- Sodium 1107.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 46.7 g