Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This easy recipe makes a big batch of delicious, healthy muffins which look and smell wonderful!
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 3⁄4 cup sucanat or 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup dried currant (optional)
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Make well in center; add milk, eggs, applesauce, oil, and currants (if using) and stir to combine.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups and bake at 375 degrees for 15-25 minutes, until muffins test done.
- Remove from pan and cool on rack.
Very good! I also used all whole wheat flour. I used 1/2 cup brown sugar & 1/3 cup Splenda. I just used 2 tsp cinn, 1 cup quick oats, skim milk & applesauce for the oil. A very yummy muffin-I got 16 muffins. Thanks!
I made a few changes and got very good muffins, tasty, moist and filling : I used all whole-wheat flour (2 cups), 2 tsp cinnamon, threw in 2 big chopped Cortland apples (in step 2). Since I only had one egg left in the fridge, I used 1 heaping tbsp ground flaxseeds mixed with 1 tbsp water as a substitute for the 2nd egg. I made 12 very big muffins and baked them for 25 minutes, which was perfect. Thanks for posting!
These were good but just was a bit too bland for me even with the cinnamon. Well worth making though.