Recipe by queen-o-my-kitchen
This is a wonderful and healthy recipe I got from a Prevention cookbook several years ago. High in fiber, low in fat with no added salt, it has natural sweetness and is delicious and filling. I always use whole wheat flour with it. These also freeze nicely and can be thawed in the microwave in about 20 seconds.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat granola
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 cup apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat granola
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk together the flour, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, and spices.
- Mix 3/4 c brown sugar, applesauce, egg whites, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Add flour mixture and mix quickly.
- Fold in 3/4 cup granola, raisins, and apples.
- Spray muffin pans with nonstick spray.
- Fill muffin pans 3/4 full with batter.
- Sprinkle a small amount of brown sugar and granola on top of each muffin, pressing gently into batter.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan; remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.