1 hr 15 mins
Buster's friend's Note:
This looks like a yum Thanksgiving side - especially since the grains are so tasty. Biggest thing is to steam the millet tender, adding more liquid if needed after the first 45 minutes coking beneath the aluminum foil cover. Easily vegetarian with veggie stock instead of chicken stock & even vegan with more stock instead of 1/2 & 1/2. Adapted from Mark Bittman's Autumn Millet Bake Recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 3/4 cup millet
- 1 lb winter squash
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1/3 cup raisins (dark or golden)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon sage leaf, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2/3 cup chicken stock (or vegetable)
- 2/3 cup cream (1/2 & 1/2)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (or coarsely chopped hazelnuts)
- 1Peel and cube squash into 1 inch cubes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375°F
- 3Grease a 2-quart casserole, a large gratin dish, or a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- 4Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add millet & stir for 3 minutes. until millet is golden. Pour millet into greased baking dish.
- 5Warm 1/2 cup of the stock with all the light cream to just steaming.
- 6Scatter the squash or pumpkin cubes, cranberries & raisins on top of the millet.
- 7Sprinkle with salt and pepper and sage. Drizzle with syrup.
- 8Carefully pour the warmed stock & cream over the mix.
- 9Cover tightly with foil and bake without disturbing for 45 minutes.
- 10Carefully uncover and turn the oven to 400°F.
- 11Add more stock or 1/2 & 1/2 if the millet is not tender. Recover with foil if more liquid is needed to complete millet cooking. Check in 15 minutes. If millet is tender, remove foil & proceed. If not add liquid as needed & recover for an additional 10 minutes, then recheck.
- 12Taste to adjust salt/pepper.
- 13Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top, and return the dish to the oven. Bake until the mixture bubbles (hence need to add some more liquid of your choice), millet is cooked & and the top is browned - another 10 minutes or so.
- 14Serve either hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Millet Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 512.5
- Calories from Fat 247
- Total Fat 27.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.6 mg
- Sodium 229.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: