Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Main dish salads aren't just for summer. This tasty salad presents the flavors of fall greens, fruits, and nuts for your family's enjoyment. Serve it with bread, biscuits, or cornbread. Or load it into wraps for a portable lunch. For the best apples check your local orchard for regional varieties in season. Those who don't eat pork can substitute smoked turkey. "Cooking" time is time to sit and blend the flavors.
- 1⁄2 head Chinese cabbage, cut in shreds (nappa)
- 1 lb ham, diced
- 2 apples, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 -2 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, cubed (optional)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- balsamic vinaigrette (I suggest Basic Vinaigrette Dressing With 8 Variations without the optional Italian seasoning)
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Prepare dressing if necessary. Dress salad to taste. I'd use ~1/4 cup but some may like it stronger.
- Let sit for 10 minutes to blend flavors and toss again.
We really, really liked this! I wasn't sure about it, given the two opposing reviews! :) I made as directed, including the suggested Balsamic Dressing recipe; only we did leave out the nuts. The flavor that came through the most was the salty ham, but the dressing, apple, and creamy cheese were nice accompaniments. We eat a lot of low carb meals, and this will definitely be made again!
What a disappointment. It sounded like it would be so yummy, but it was bad. First, the colors are all the same - sort of a pale yellow - except for the walnuts and ham. Not appetizing at all, and you couldn't tell whether you had picked up a chunk of apple or a cube of mozzarella. I made a balsamic vinaigrette that was good, but the rest of the salad was sooo bland. Walnuts tend to be a little bitter, and it really came out in this salad. The mozzarella was a very mild taste. The apples were sweet, and the ham salty, but it just didn't go with the rest. If I took the idea, but made it so it would be palatable, I would use Romaine lettuce, Swiss cheese, red pepper, and maybe some toasted almond slivers. So sad that I have to throw the rest of this out. What a waste.
Wow, this is an outstanding salad! I used apple cider vinegar in the dreessing. Also tossed apple in lemon juice to prevent browning. Toasted the walnuts . Great meal for a lo carb diet!