Recipe by 3KillerBs
Main dish salads aren't just for summer. This tasty salad presents the flavors of fall greens, fruits, and nuts for your family's enjoyment. Serve it with bread, biscuits, or cornbread. Or load it into wraps for a portable lunch. For the best apples check your local orchard for regional varieties in season. Those who don't eat pork can substitute smoked turkey. "Cooking" time is time to sit and blend the flavors.
Top Review by J-Lynn
We really, really liked this! I wasn't sure about it, given the two opposing reviews! :) I made as directed, including the suggested Balsamic Dressing recipe; only we did leave out the nuts. The flavor that came through the most was the salty ham, but the dressing, apple, and creamy cheese were nice accompaniments. We eat a lot of low carb meals, and this will definitely be made again!
- 1⁄2 head Chinese cabbage, cut in shreds (nappa)
- 1 lb ham, diced
- 2 apples, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 -2 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, cubed (optional)
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- balsamic vinaigrette (I suggest Basic Vinaigrette Dressing With 8 Variations without the optional Italian seasoning)