Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
For an autumn harvest dinner.
Make and share this Autumn Lasagna With Chicken Ragù, Pine Nuts, and Raisins recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 lb chicken gizzard, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine or 1⁄2 cup dry vermouth
- 12 minced sage leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 6 tablespoons pine nuts
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 6 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, thinly shaved
- 6 tablespoons dry white wine
- 6 tablespoons golden raisins
- Make chicken ragu: heat a large pan over medium heat; add in olive oil and butter; the moment the butter melts, add in onion and carrot; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add in garlic; cook until aromatic, about 15 seconds.
- Add in chopped pancetta; cook until frizzled and browned, 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in chopped thighs and gizzards (if using); decrease heat to med-low; cook until they are well browned, about 8 minutes.
- Pour in the wine; use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the sage, bay leaves, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Pour in the broth; stir in the tomato paste until dissolved.
- Decrease heat to low; set the pan cover askew, and simmer very slowly for 30 minutes.
- Then cover the pan and continue cooking about 30 more minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and set aside; remove and discard bay leaves.
- Make the casserole: position oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 375°.
- Put a small skillet over medium heat; add in pine nuts; toast just until golden, about 4 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Pour into a small bowl; cool for 5 minutes.
- Layer the lasagna in a 13x9 inch pan as follow: ½ cup chicken ragu, spread in the bottom pan; 3 noodles, 1 ½ cups chicken ragu; half of the cheese, placed evenly over the ragu; 3 tablespoons white wine sprinkled over the cheese; half the toasted pine nuts and half the raisins; 3 noodles, 1 ½ cups chicken ragu; remaining cheese; 3 tablespoons white wine, again sprinkled over them; remaining pine nuts and raisins; the remaining noodles and finally, the remaining chicken ragu, making sure it covers the casserole thoroughly.
- Cover the pan with a layer of parchment paper, then a layer of foil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, then uncover and continue baking until dense, compact, and bubbling, about 5 more minutes.
- Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.