Recipe by Cook4_6
I found this recipe out on the web and am posting it to try later. It sounds really interesting!
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
This was a really different way to do lasagna, but was really tasty. It also is thinner (not as many layers) as the typical lasagna that I am used to, so we used this as an excuse to eat the whole pan (I guess you could say we liked it). I thought it was very easy to make. I used purple cabbage that was already shredded. We'd have this again! Thanks for posting! Made for Photo Tag Spring 2013
- 1⁄2 lb cabbage leaf (green or purple)
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushroom
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart whole milk, heated
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 ounce pecorino cheese, freshly grated
- 1 ounce parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 10 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles (Oven-Ready)
- to taste salt
- to taste fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- PREHEAT oven to 375 degrees.
- CUT cabbage into thin strips. Pour boiling water over porcini mushrooms and let soak for 30 minutes or until softened. Drain and chop porcini mushrooms.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon of the butter and the oil in a large skillet over moderately low heat.
- ADD garlic, mushrooms and rosemary and cook until garlic is golden, about 3 minutes.
- ADD cabbage and cook over low heat, covered for 5 minutes.
- ADD wine and simmer until the wine is evaporated.
- ADD 1/4 cup of water and cook over low heat until cabbage is tender, about 6 minutes. Discard garlic and rosemary and season cabbage with salt and pepper to taste.
- MELT remaining 4 tablespoons butter over moderately low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
- ADD milk in a stream, whisking and bring mixture to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste and a pinch of nutmeg.
- ADD cabbage to sauce.
- COMBINE the 2 cheese. Spread one-third of the cabbage mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan.
- ARRANGE half of the lasagne in one layer on top of the cabbage and top with half the remaining cabbage mixture and half of the cheese mixture .
- ARRANGE the remaining lasagne over the cheese and top with the remaining cabbage mixture and cheese.
- BAKE in the middle of the over for 25-30 minutes or until bubbling.