Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this super simple, but fantastic looking, recipe when I was looking for an idea for a cake to make for a cake walk at the carnival at my daughter's school. Everyone oohed and ahhed over it and a picture of it was on the cover of the school newsletter that month. It is insanely easy but I promise that you will have everyone asking for your recipe! You can also change the theme of the cake by substituting seasonal M&M's on top.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) boxduncan hines devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix (the small box)
- 1 (16 ounce) container white frosting
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 12 (1 1/2 ounce) Kit Kat bars (not snack size)
- 1 (1 lb) bag Reese's pieces
- autumn themed ribbon
- Preheat oven to 350
- To make the cake:.
- In a large bowl, combine the Duncan Hine's cake mix, milk, eggs, canola oil and chocolate pudding mix . Mix until everything is moist and then mix on Medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide cake mix evenly between two 9" greased round cake pans.
- Bake for 28-31 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 5 minutes then remove cakes and cool completely on wire rack.
- To make the icing:
- Spoon vanilla icing into a bowl and add peanut butter. Mix with hand mixer until combined. Add more peanut butter, to taste.
- To assemble the cake:.
- Place one cake on whatever plate you are using to serve it and icing like normal, adding some extra on the top.
- Place the second cake on top of the first cake. Icing the second cake to create a layer cake. It does not have to look pretty -- you won't see it anyway.
- Break Kit Kats in half so that 2 bars are still stuck together. You will use between 10 and 12 (4 packs) of Kit Kats depending on the size of your cake.
- Spread some icing on the back of each Kit Kat section and begin placing them around the cake (vertically and right next to each other). It will begin to resemble a fence going around the cake.
- When you've gone the whole way around, tie the Autumn themed ribbon around the cake to keep the Kit Kats in place.
- Fill the top of the cake with Reese's Pieces (you will probably use a whole bag).
- Cover and refrigerate or serve immediately.
- You can also use different cake and icing combinations or top it with seasonal or regular M&M's to fit any occasion. Coordinate ribbon to match!