Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Good use of those fall veggies.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped and peeled
- 2 medium parsnips, chopped and peeled
- 2 small apples, sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 226.79 g chicken, shredded
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh parsley
- 236.59 ml vegetable broth
- 236.59 ml apple juice
- Dump all veggies, chicken, salt, pepper and olive oil into crockpot and stir. Tie herbs together with string and put in the pot (you can put them in top or bury them in among the veggies). Pour in liquids. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Very nice flavors. I liked having the fresh herbs. I have to admit, I didn't use the crock pot, but just the good ol' stove and I had to make a triple back for 10 people and I wanted some leftovers. I made a couple of changes. I added turnips for a little texture and a few yukon golds for a bit of variation in the potatoes. Also, some fine diced celery for a little crunch. I added a pinch of garlic, just a clove which I removed, but it gave it a nice base flavor and a pinch of cumin. The seasoning was great with the fresh herbs, but I just felt it needed something. Overall I thought it was great. I had to use 1/2 chicken broth as I didn't have enough vegetable broth, but it was still very good. And because I made it on the stove top, I did saute the chicken first, then the vegetables. But it wasn't necessary. Just made a nice layering of flavors.
As written this is a great crock pot dish. I am just big on seasoning, so that was a personal taste. I loved the apples and juice which gave a nice flavor. DON"T leave those out. I also used a mix of thighs and breasts
What a simple and gratifying stew! Even picky DH loved it! I used chicken thighs and cooked it on high in the crock pot for 4 hours and it turned out just great. Thanks, Concrete Gardener! Made for PAC Fall 2009.