Recipe by Galley Wench
I started developing this soup for a RecipeZaar cooking contest. Finally finished it, a bit too late for the contest! A hearty soup, add bread and you have dinner.
Top Review by Annacia
Any recipe that DH has seconds of is worth 5 stars! I have to admit that the only way I had a chance of even getting him to try this was to not put any squash in it and I subbed in diced ham because I had some to use up. The soup is perfectly named, it's autumn in a bowl. I was expecting the apple to dissolve in cooking but it didn't, the chunks were very soft but still chunks. Thanks for posting DW. :D
- 2 cups dry white beans, soaked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces smoked bacon, cut in half crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup leek, diced
- 1 cup celery, 1/4-inch diced
- 2 apples, tart cooking, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, 1/4-inch diced
- 2 cups butternut squash, 1/4-inch diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- sea salt & white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed soup pot and saute bacon for 3 minutes.
- Pour off any excess fat.
- Add onions and garlic continuing to cook until onions are softened.
- Add leeks, celery, carrots, butternut squash and soaked white beans along with thyme and rosemary.
- Saute for 2 more minutes. Pour in chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer slowly for 1 1/2 hour or until beans are tender.
- Adjust final seasoning.