Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 dash salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk, warmed
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Heat the oil in-a small saucepan.
- When moderately hot, add the onion and saute until tender.
- Add the pumpkin, tomato, broth, salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Carefully pour the hot mixture into a blender puree until smooth.
- Gradually add the milk and blend well.
- Return to heat to warm.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg before serving.
Tired of pumpkin soup that has the flavors of pie, I was instantly drawn to this more savory rendition of a favorite. The recipe is very easy to prepare and perfect for a quick meal. I used a Roma tomato preferring their meatiness and ease in seeding. A good dose of fresh white pepper and it was well seasoned and ready to go. I liked the savory combination but thought it did not hang together as well as I would have wanted. Update: Tonight I tried the leftovers with a tablespoon of salsa and a pinch of cinnamon. The spicy-heat combination was spunky and complimented the pumpkin soup very well. Definitely try it.