Prep 30 mins
Cook 168 hrs
From Nov. '07 Natural Health Magazine.
- 1 daikon radish, sliced into half moons (or a few red radishes)
- 2 carrots, sliced into half moons
- 2 green tomatoes or 2 tomatillos, chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced (leeks, scallions, or shallots may be substituted, to taste)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium chili peppers, chopped (jalapeno for mild heat, habanero for more of a kick)
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- "Massage" the mixture with your hands, grabbing handfuls, and squeezing repeatedly until the vegetables are wilted and excess water is squeezed out.
- Spoon kimchi mixture tightly into a quart-size jar with a wide mouth. Pack tightly, pressing hard until the brine rises- vegetables must be submerged in brine to avoid mold forming.
- Loosley cover jar with lid.
- Allow kimchi to ferment at room temperature for about a week, pressing down the mixture each day to make sure vegetables remain submerged in the brine. The longer it ferments, the more sour it becomes.
- When kimchi has fermented to your taste, store in the rfrigerator.