Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
This pie isn't only delicious but it looks wonderful, almost too good to eat. I made this a vegan pie because I don't do dairy. It takes a while to make, but its well worth the effort. I used my Easy Spelt pie crust for this pie. I included the recipe for the Apple Pie Spice and the pie crust in the directions below.
- 2 (18 inch) pie crusts
- 1814.36 g apples (Pippin or Granny Smith)
- 118.29 ml raw sugar (raw-cane for the pie)
- 14.79 ml sugar (to sprinkle on top of the pie)
- 78.07 ml organic brown sugar (organic-packed)
- 29.58 ml organic spelt flour
- 14.79 ml apple pie spice (see how to make it below)
- 29.58 ml vegan margarine (vegan-melted to drizzle over the apples)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 400'F.
- APPLE PIE SPICE: I combined 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoons allspice and 1/8 teaspoons ground cardamom.
- FOR THE PIE:.
- Core the apples and then using your food processor slicer blade prepare the apples.
- Put in a big bowl and add the raw cane sugar, packed brown sugar, flour and apple pie spice. Mix this up really well so all the apples are separated and covered.
- Once its done set aside and make your crust.
- EASY SPELT CRUST:.
- 3 cups flour (spelt).
- 1 teaspoons salt.
- 1/2 cup oil (light).
- 1/2 cup milk (non-dairy).
- Put the flour and salt in your food processor. Process to combine.
- In the mean time put oil and milk in a cup and mix well. Pour this through the feeding tube of the processor until you have a nice crumbly mixture.
- Turn it out onto a work surface and form into a ball. Divide in two and roll out.
- Put the bottom crust on your pie plate. Fill with the apple mixture. Drizzle the margarine over the apples.
- Roll out the top crust and put it on. Flute the edges.
- At this point I usually take what I have left of the crust and make some leaves or other decorations and put them on the pie as you can see in the photo. I brush the pie with some non-vegan milk and sprinkle with the tablespoon of sugar. Cut some steam holes in the top.
- Put the pie on a cookie sheet. The juices will run out so best to catch them.
- Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- Check the pie to see if the edges are getting too brown. I found at this point I had to cover them with a foil protector.
- At this point reduce the oven temperature to 325'F and bake for an another 40 minutes.
- At this point the crust should be golden brown and the juices bubbling out of the pie. If you want run a knife through the pie to make sure the apples are soft.
- Remove when done and cool on a metal rack. I use a dollop of soy or coconut whipped cream on top -- yummy!
- Bon Appetit!