1/1 Photo of Autumn Harvest Apple Pie (Vegan )
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Chef Joey Z.'s Note:
This pie isn't only delicious but it looks wonderful, almost too good to eat. I made this a vegan pie because I don't do dairy. It takes a while to make, but its well worth the effort. I used my Easy Spelt pie crust for this pie. I included the recipe for the Apple Pie Spice and the pie crust in the directions below.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 4 lbs apples (Pippin or Granny Smith)
- 1/2 cup raw sugar (raw-cane for the pie)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (to sprinkle on top of the pie)
- 1/3 cup organic brown sugar (organic-packed)
- 2 tablespoons organic spelt flour
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice (see how to make it below)
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine (vegan-melted to drizzle over the apples)
- 1Preheat your oven to 400'F.
- 2APPLE PIE SPICE: I combined 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoons allspice and 1/8 teaspoons ground cardamom.
- 3FOR THE PIE:.
- 4Core the apples and then using your food processor slicer blade prepare the apples.
- 5Put in a big bowl and add the raw cane sugar, packed brown sugar, flour and apple pie spice. Mix this up really well so all the apples are separated and covered.
- 6Once its done set aside and make your crust.
- 7EASY SPELT CRUST:.
- 83 cups flour (spelt).
- 91 teaspoons salt.
- 101/2 cup oil (light).
- 111/2 cup milk (non-dairy).
- 12Put the flour and salt in your food processor. Process to combine.
- 13In the mean time put oil and milk in a cup and mix well. Pour this through the feeding tube of the processor until you have a nice crumbly mixture.
- 14Turn it out onto a work surface and form into a ball. Divide in two and roll out.
- 15Put the bottom crust on your pie plate. Fill with the apple mixture. Drizzle the margarine over the apples.
- 16Roll out the top crust and put it on. Flute the edges.
- 17At this point I usually take what I have left of the crust and make some leaves or other decorations and put them on the pie as you can see in the photo. I brush the pie with some non-vegan milk and sprinkle with the tablespoon of sugar. Cut some steam holes in the top.
- 18Put the pie on a cookie sheet. The juices will run out so best to catch them.
- 19Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- 20Check the pie to see if the edges are getting too brown. I found at this point I had to cover them with a foil protector.
- 21At this point reduce the oven temperature to 325'F and bake for an another 40 minutes.
- 22At this point the crust should be golden brown and the juices bubbling out of the pie. If you want run a knife through the pie to make sure the apples are soft.
- 23Remove when done and cool on a metal rack. I use a dollop of soy or coconut whipped cream on top -- yummy!
- 24Bon Appetit!
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Harvest Apple Pie (Vegan )
Serving Size: 1 (521 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 869.0
- Calories from Fat 275
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 479.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 149.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.1 g
- Sugars 93.0 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
apple pie spice