Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Another GREAT recipe from "Sundays at Moosewood Restaurant"
Make and share this Autumn Gold Butternut Squash Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato soup
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup orange juice
- salt and pepper
- Cook the squash-I boil it for this recipe and use the broth in place of the water called for.
- Saute the chopped onion in the oil with the spices and bay until onion is translucent.
- Add the carrot and celery and the squash water.
- Cover and simmer until carots are tender.
- REmove bay leaves Puree the veg and squash, whisk in juices return to a simmer, taste and add salt and pepper.
Since we grow buttercup squash in our garden & I 've only eaten them as a vegetable, I decided to give this recipe a try. It was easy to prepare & very flavourful. It was rather sweet for my tastes but thats just a personal preference.