1 hr 30 mins
"Glorious pumpkin shells summon up the delights of autumn and seem too good to throw away. Use one instead as a serving dish. Pumpkin and pasta make marvelous partners, especially as a main course served from the baked shell." From 'Best-Ever Cook's Collection- Pasta' but adapted to our own tastes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 kg whole pumpkin (4lb)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 29.58 ml finely minced garlic
- 44.37 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium courgette, sliced (zucchini)
- 115 g mushrooms, sliced (4oz)
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes (14oz)
- 75 g pasta shells (3oz)
- 450 ml vegetable stock (1 3/4 cups)
- 59.16 ml fromage frais (or cream cheese if unavailable)
- 29.58 ml fresh basil, chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F.
- 2Cut the top off the pumpkin with a large sharp knife and scoop out and discard the seeds.
- 3Using a small sharp knife and a tablespoon, cut and scrape out as much of the flesh from the shell as possible, then chop the flesh into rough chunks.
- 4Bake the pumpkin with its lid on for 45 minutes to 1 hour until inside begins to soften.
- 5Meanwhile, make the filling. Gently fry onion, garlic and pumpkin flesh in olive oil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add the sliced courgette and the mushrooms and cook for a further 3 minutes, then stir in the tomatoes, pasta shells and stock. Season well, bring to the boil, then cover the pasta and simmer gently for about 10 minutes.
- 7Stir the fromage frais and basil into the pasta and spoon the mixture into the pumpkin. (It may not be possible to fit all the filling into the pumpkin shell so serve the rest separately if necessary).
Browse Our Top Pasta Shells Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn (Fall) Glory Soup
Serving Size: 1 (445 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.2
- Calories from Fat 101
- Total Fat 11.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: