Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
With fresh thyme & sherry.
Make and share this Autumn Cream of Mushroom Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 lbs white mushrooms, thinly sliced (we use one of those hard boiled egg slicers)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup cream sherry
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth or 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth, reserving 1/2 cup
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- In a large saucepan melt butter with the olive oil over moderate heat.
- Add the shallots and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, thyme leaves, salt and pepper, cooking until all of the liquid rendered from the mushrooms evaporates.
- Add the Sherry and cook until evaporated.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of the broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a blender puree the soup in batches until smooth.
- Return soup to saucepan, bring to a simmer and whisk in the milk.
- Add reserved broth to achieve desired consistency.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Lower heat and whisk in the sour cream.
- Serve warm.
This was wonderful! I used a combination of white and cremini mushrooms and all my guests enjoyed it. I had hoped for leftovers, but guess I'll just have to make some more. Only one drawback, it didn't look good (but what mushroom soup does?).
Rich, creamy and delicious. I used a combination of mushrooms, and did not have cream sherry, but added regular cooking sherry. Alongside a hot loaf of homemade bread, it made for a perfect dinner on a chilly Fall evening. Thank you!
Excellent. The thyme/sherry/nutmeg combination really make this soup something special... elegant, woodsy flavours worthy enough for your next dinner party. This recipe is a 5 star keeper. Thanks for posting.