1/1 Photo of Autumn Chicken Stew
I adapted this recipe from one that appeared in BBC Good Food magazine and loved the rich, earthy flavours it produced. The original inspiration for this dish apparently comes from Tunisia and it certainly reminded me of some African stews I have had. The changes I made were to use butternut squash instead of pumpkin, fresh ginger instead of ground and two cans of tomatoes instead of one. I also used my chili olive oil, which is stored in a jar with hot chillis to give it some bite, but if you don't have any spicy oils to use, you could add in a bit of chili powder, cayenne pepper or some harissa. This is a very adaptable recipe so have fun playing with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g pumpkin or 500 g butternut squash
- 4 tablespoons chilli-flavoured olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, freshly grated or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 (400 g) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 -4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 (400 g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mixed well with (optional)
- 4 tablespoons water (optional)
- 1Peel the pumpkin or squash.
- 2Remove the seeds and any fibrous bits and then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- 3In a large bowl, heat the oil and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes.
- 4Stir in the cinnamon and, if using the ground ginger, stir that in too.
- 5If you are using fresh, it will be added later.
- 6Cook for a couple more minutes and then add in the chicken.
- 7Fry until the chicken is browned slightly on all sides.
- 8Add the tomatoes and sugar.
- 9Season to taste with salt and pepper if you like, although I don't feel the dish needs any, and then add the chickpeas and pumpkin.
- 10Make sure the dish is evenly mixed and then cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- 11If you are using fresh ginger, add it in about half way through this process.
- 12Once the pumpkin is cooked, depending on how runny you like your stew, you may want to thicken it up with a bit of cornstarch and water.
- 13Just mix the two together and stir in the stew and leave for a couple minutes to thicken.
- 14Stir in the chopped coriander just before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Chicken Stew
Serving Size: 1 (613 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.8
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 449.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 33.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: