Recipe by EmmyDuckie
A classic chicken and rice dish with a little twist of wild rice and apples for a hearty, warming fall or winter supper. We used a seasoned packaged wild rice blend, but plain long grain and wild rice should work fine. If you're using plain, you may want to adjust your seasonings slightly, as your salt content will be lower.
Top Review by Mark M.
I followed the instructions except that I used two chicken breasts instead of 6 in my 3qt crock pot. I used a can cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of chicken and mushroom soup. The recipe was very salty. If I were to make this recipe again I would probably eliminate the sodium rich dry onion soup and use low sodium condensed soups but I really don't think I will make this again.
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 bone in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 (8 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 apple, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place carrots, onion, garlic, and celery in crock pot.
- Cook bacon over medium heat in a large skillet, reserving a few tablespoons of bacon fat, crumble and add to crock pot.
- Coat chicken thighs in poultry seasoning and salt and pepper to taste, brown chicken in bacon fat.
- Add chicken pieces, mustard, bay leaves, and liquids to crock pot.
- Cook on high 4 hours, or low 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add rice and apples. Debone and roughly chop chicken, if desired, or leave pieces whole. Turn heat to high (if not already on high) and allow rice to absorb all liquid.