Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A classic chicken and rice dish with a little twist of wild rice and apples for a hearty, warming fall or winter supper. We used a seasoned packaged wild rice blend, but plain long grain and wild rice should work fine. If you're using plain, you may want to adjust your seasonings slightly, as your salt content will be lower.
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 bone in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon spicy mustard
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 (8 ounce) package long grain and wild rice blend
- 1 apple, chopped
- Place carrots, onion, garlic, and celery in crock pot.
- Cook bacon over medium heat in a large skillet, reserving a few tablespoons of bacon fat, crumble and add to crock pot.
- Coat chicken thighs in poultry seasoning and salt and pepper to taste, brown chicken in bacon fat.
- Add chicken pieces, mustard, bay leaves, and liquids to crock pot.
- Cook on high 4 hours, or low 8 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, add rice and apples. Debone and roughly chop chicken, if desired, or leave pieces whole. Turn heat to high (if not already on high) and allow rice to absorb all liquid.
I followed the instructions except that I used two chicken breasts instead of 6 in my 3qt crock pot. I used a can cream of mushroom soup and a can of cream of chicken and mushroom soup. The recipe was very salty. If I were to make this recipe again I would probably eliminate the sodium rich dry onion soup and use low sodium condensed soups but I really don't think I will make this again.
4 STARS: Hearty slow cooker meal. Used boneless skinless chicken thighs and unfiltered apple juice. Also used the seasoning packet in the rice. The apple flavor was subtle and wished it were a little more prominent, but enjoyed this for dinner. Thanks.
I really liked thisw crock pot recipe. I shreddde the chicken and mixed with everything else rather then keeping it on the bone. I had a couple sweet potatoes I needed to use up, so I put those in place of the carrots. A little tip, I left it in the crock on low after I ate while waiting for my fiance to get home after working late, and the rice soaked up a ton of liquid. I think it was beter before it soaked all this up. But it is super tasty!!!