Recipe by Queenkungfu
This recipe is from Green Mountain at Fox Run.It's a a fitness and healthy weight loss retreat for women only (a weight loss camp. Acorn squash or pumpkin is a good substitute for butternut squash.
Top Review by kmoxy23
This recipe is a great basis, but A and I made it a bit spicy by adding a touch of Madras curry powder, cumin, paprika, and chilli (and some bay leaves). We then finished it off with a dollop of yoghurt and feta, and it was fab!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, bone-in and skin removed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 6 ounces white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large (4 1/2 quart)Dutch oven. Add chicken and brown about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove chicken and add onion, garlic and celery to pan; sauté on medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan with vegetables.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, wine, salt, pepper, sage, thyme and bring to a boil; simmer about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add squash, bring to boil and simmer 30 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Stir in frozen peas (optional) and reheat for a minute or two.
- note:Bone-in chicken adds a little more flavor and bones can be removed after cooking but before serving stew. As a short cut, you can use boneless, skinless breasts, or if you like dark meat, substitute chicken thighs for some or all of the chicken breasts.