Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From the Empire Kosher Chicken Cookbook. I haven't tried it yet, but am including it here so that I don't lose it. It looks delicious to me. Let me know what you think. Cooking time includes 1 hour of marinating time.
- 3⁄4 cup prune juice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 roasting chicken, cut in 1/8s, skin removed
- 1 large vidalia onions or 1 large other sweet onion, halved and sliced very thin
- 1 lb carrot, peeles and sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly on the diagonal
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil, soaked in 1 cup of boiling water for 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- In a roaster with a cover, combine the prune juice, curry powder, turmeric, pepper and thyme. Add the chicken and marinate for one hour. Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place onion, carrots, sweet potatoes in pan, top with chicken, cover, and bake for 20 minutes.
- Baste the chicken and rearrange the veggies so tht they cook evenly. Bake another 15 minutes, baste again, and add the lentils, stirring them into the pan juices.
- Bake until chicken is done and the veggies have fallen apart, creating a thick sauce, about 20 minutes more.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, stir in the parsley, and serve.