This is a healthful breakfast I make for my kids on school mornings. I double the recipe, baking it in two separate dishes and refrigerate it to use all week long. I make this throughout the school year, changing up the add-ins to keep the flavors fresh and the kiddos happy! I've used bananas and walnuts, omitting the squash, gingers, raisins and pepitas. Or chopped up strawberries and blueberries when in season for a Spring-time flavor combo. The recipe is so versatile my kids never tire of it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, not the quick-cook oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (I use less sometimes depending on the fruits added)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I use almond milk)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted (I use Earth Balance spread for lactose free)
- 1/2 cup squash (canned or roasted and mashed)
- 3/4 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, also called pepitas
- 2 teaspoons crystallized ginger, chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees butter an 8x8 square baking dish.
- 2In a small mixing bowl, combine both types of oatmeal, sugar, cinnamon, powdered ginger, raisins, pepitas, baking soda, and salt.
- 3In another larger bowl combine milk, butter, eggs, vanilla, crystallized ginger and squash. Add in the oatmeal mixture and stir to combine well. If it sets for very long, be sure to stir again before pouring into baking dishes since the steel cut oats will settle to the bottom.
- 4Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until the center is set and the outsides pull slightly away from the pan.
- 5Serve warm with a little milk over top. Refrigerate leftovers for a healthy breakfast tomorrow!
Browse Our Top Oatmeal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Celebration Baked Oatmeal
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.0
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 57.2 mg
- Sodium 420.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: