Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Very easy cassoulet. The addition of apples lends a sweetness and makes it perfect for an autumn potluck or an addition to your buffet.
- 2 lbs smoked sausage (fully cooked)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- 1 medium apple, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon savory
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained (1/2c. liquid reserved)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 10 ounces lima beans
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Slice smoked sausage into small coins. Saute to brown and render the fat. Remove sausage, drain and set aside. Add garlic and scallions to the same pan and saute over medium heat in fat until softened. Add apple, rosemary, sage and savory. Stir well. Add brandy and let simmer until almost all the liquid has evaporated. Add chicken stock, Northern Beans, tomatoes with their liquid, lima beans, tomato paste, ground cloves and the reserved bean liquid. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- This recipe is freezable and tastes even better the next day. Serve with really good crusty bread.