Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A golden casserole with pearl barley and colourful vegetables, perfect for toddlers
Make and share this Autumn Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 175 g pearl barley
- 500 g lamb necks, fillet cut into large cubes
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, made up with
- 900 ml water
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced into thick rings
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thick rings
- 2 sticks celery, cut into 5cm sticks
- Place the pearl barley in a pan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, keeping the water topped up.
- Drain the barley and reserve any liquid.
- Cook the lamb in a large pan over a high heat until sealed and browned on all sides then remove from the pan.
- Melt the butter in the same pan, add the flour and cook until the roux is a golden brown colour then stir in the tomato puree
- Add the stock slowly, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
- Add the pearl barley, any reserved liquid and the vegetables and cook gently for 30-35 minutes.
- Season to taste before serving.