1 hr 10 mins
A golden casserole with pearl barley and colourful vegetables, perfect for toddlers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 175 g pearl barley
- 500 g lamb necks, fillet cut into large cubes
- 25 g butter
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes, made up with
- 900 ml water
- 1 large leek, washed and sliced into thick rings
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into thick rings
- 2 sticks celery, cut into 5cm sticks
- 1Place the pearl barley in a pan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes, keeping the water topped up.
- 2Drain the barley and reserve any liquid.
- 3Cook the lamb in a large pan over a high heat until sealed and browned on all sides then remove from the pan.
- 4Melt the butter in the same pan, add the flour and cook until the roux is a golden brown colour then stir in the tomato puree
- 5Add the stock slowly, stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
- 6Add the pearl barley, any reserved liquid and the vegetables and cook gently for 30-35 minutes.
- 7Season to taste before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.8
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 13.3 mg
- Sodium 88.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes