Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This soup just reminds me of the Fall.
- 2 lbs baby carrots (or 2 lbs peeled and sliced carrots)
- 2 cups peeled diced potatoes (about 1 large potato)
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (or use another 1/2 cup apple juice or white grape juice)
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup light sour cream
- Place carrots, potatoes, apples, onion and celery in a large soup pot. Add juice, wine, and broth and bring to a boil. Cook/simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Stir in salt, pepper, thyme, tarragon, nutmeg and brown sugar.
- Remove from heat and puree (in batches) in a food processor or blender.
- Return pureed soup mixture to pot and place on med-low heat. Stir in shredded cheese and sour cream. Stir often, until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
Fabulous healthy soup ! i made it w/out sour cream and halved the cheese. Really tasty for our chill evening. Made for Pool Party Tag.
we've been making this soup since last fall, and i love it! the freshness of the carrots really makes a big difference. fresh carrots right out of the garden = perfect soup. store bought carrots work ok, but not as good. even my 2 year old eats this soup (and he doesn't eat much of anything). this is a perfect supper in the fall or winter, with a loaf of fresh bread or garlic bread. thanks so much for posting this.
My apple juice had turned to vinegar so I used applesauce instead and used a little more wine. The hotter it is the better it tastes. I sprinkled a bit of cheese on top the first time we ate it for added flavor. I liked it enough to eat several days in a row but it's still not perfect.