- 2 lbs baby carrots (or 2 lbs peeled and sliced carrots)
- 2 cups peeled diced potatoes (about 1 large potato)
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (or use another 1/2 cup apple juice or white grape juice)
- 3 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup light sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Place carrots, potatoes, apples, onion and celery in a large soup pot. Add juice, wine, and broth and bring to a boil. Cook/simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until carrots are very tender.
- Stir in salt, pepper, thyme, tarragon, nutmeg and brown sugar.
- Remove from heat and puree (in batches) in a food processor or blender.
- Return pureed soup mixture to pot and place on med-low heat. Stir in shredded cheese and sour cream. Stir often, until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.