Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another Jack Frost favorite. We have a tradition of going to the Bayfield Apple Festival with our friends and family every October so I am always trying to find easy recipes with apples like this one. I have reduced the brown sugar from 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup.
- 3 cups tart apples, unpeeled and sliced
- 3 cups carrots, sliced and cooked
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- Place half the apples in a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Cover with half the carrots.
- In a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle half over apples and carrots.
- Repeat layers.
- Pour orange juice over all.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
This was fantastic - I used 1/3 Splenda brown sugar and Saigon Cinnamon, what a delicious dish!! I also added half a yam for a bit more colour and texture. I will be passing this recipe on because I loved it.
This recipe was a total hit at my house. Everyone loved it and DH even took seconds! The flavors are wonderful together and this makes a delightful change up for cooked carrots. I'm seriously thinking of adding it to my Christmas menu. It's a keeper for sure.
This is a perfect side dish for the fall! We had it with roasted chicken and potatoes. I didn't precook my carrots well enough, so they didn't get soft like the apples, but that was my own fault. It was still excellent, and now I'll know better for next time. And there will definitely be a next time! Thanks.