Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
From personal chef Phyllis Segura.
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 head celery, peeled of strings and diced
- 1⁄2 lb pitted green olives, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 ounce capers
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup pine nuts
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Sauté onion in olive oil. Add tomato puree, wine, sugar. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add the squash and vinegar to the tomato sauce. Stir well and taste for seasoning.
- Blanch celery in boiling water then drain and dip into ice water. Drain again and add to the mixture.
- Add capers, parsley, olives, and pine nuts for final five minutes.
- Let cool. Better the next day. Serve with additional salt and pepper and a drizzle of very good olive oil.