Prep 20 mins
Cook 9 hrs
Something tasty for the slow cooker.
- 12 small red potatoes, halved
- 1 lb carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes, carrots and onions in a 5 quart slow cooker.
- In a large skillet, brown beef in butter.
- Transfer beef to slow cooker with a slotted spoon.
- Stir flour into the pan drippings until blended; cook and stir until browned.
- Gradually add water.
- Bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add salt, parsley, celery seed, thyme and pepper; pour over beef and mix all ingredients together.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until vegetables and meat are tender.
We used Venison instead of stew beef. I also used fresh parsely. The stew meat came out very tender, but we felt the whole stew lacked flavor. I doubled from the butter on down. As written, it did not seam like enough sauce. With doubling we still didn't have any gravy.
Wonderfull recipe and it was very easily adapted to a 30 minute meal. I needed something quick and for some stew meat, but didn't have time for the slow cooker, so I took this great recipe, cut the meat into bite size pieces, quickly browned them in a tablespoon of olive oil. I cut the potatoes, carrots, and onion into small pieces and threw them into the pot and sauted them for a few minutes with the meat, butter and spices. I then added the flour and blended then added the water. I let it simmer for about 20 minutes. It was fantastic. I didn't change a thing about your recipe, just rearranged the cooking. I can't wait to do this in the crockpot one weekend. Thanks for the great recipe.