Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A delicious, colorful soup. Originally a highly rated recipe from allrecipes called "Nanny's Goulash", a friend shared it at a monthly recipe exchange club. We all loved the savory mushrooms. Serve with a loaf of fresh bread or a pan of cornbread. Some of the reviewers on "that other site" served it with brown rice or added macaroni to the soup. I think it's perfect as it is!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Remove beef and discard fat.
- Return skillet to stove. Heat olive oil over medium high heat and saute mushrooms, green and red peppers, zucchini, onion, paprika, basil, garlic salt, and pepper. Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beef and tomatoes. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- One of the reviewers says you can cook on low in the crockpot for 4-6 hours (brown beef first of course).
I really enjoyed this. I left out the bell pepper and added a clove of crushed garlic. I served it with a loaf of french bread; perfect for dipping.