Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
Today is the Autumnal Equinox and, in honour of this special occasion I have made two apple strudels. This recipe is simple and very delicious. I hope you give it a try. You can cut the recipe in half and just make one if you want; but I am making two because I know one won't last around here for very long :) I omitted the confectioner's sugar and sprinkled more granulated sugar on top of these before I baked them.
- 490.44 g packagepepperidge farm puff pastry (both sheets)
- 14.78 ml Ener-G Egg Substitute
- 29.58 ml water (to mix with the egg substitute)
- 59.16 ml granulated sugar (I used the pure cane sugar)
- 29.58 ml spelt flour
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1.23 ml ground ginger (optional)
- 4 large granny smith apples (if you can't find large use 8 small)
- 59.16 ml dried cherries (chopped medium)
- 29.58 ml vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 29.58 ml confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Set the oven to 375'F.
- Put a silpat sheet on a 12" x 16" baking pan. Set aside.
- Take out your puff pastry and let it thaw for about 37 minutes.
- Prepare the egg substitute and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar, lemon zest, flour and spices.
- Add it to the apples and then add the dried cherries. Add in the vanilla and with your hands give everything a good toss making sure you coat all the apples with the sugar, flour, vanilla and spices.
- Lightly flour your counter top and roll the thawed puff pastry into a 12"x16" rectangle.
- Take 1/2 of the apple mixture and lay it on the long side of the puff pastry sheet and roll it away from yourself. Tuck in the edges. Repeat for the second puff pastry sheet.
- Set them on the prepared baking pan leaving a space between as they will spread. Brush with your egg replacer. Using a pair of scissors cut 4 slices in the top of the strudel to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the strudels are a light golden brown and the apple juice is flowing out the bottom.
- I brushed the juice on top of the strudel. Don't want to waste it.
- At this point you can sprinkle the strudel with your confectioners sugar.
- Bon Appetit!