Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I might have to make this for our German-themed dinner. Oktoberfest. :)
Make and share this Autumn-Apple Strudel recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 6 large granny smith apples, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 (7 1/4 ounce) package butter cookies, finely crumbled
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 12 frozen phyllo pastry sheets, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple brandy or 2 tablespoons apple cider
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pour 1 cup hot water over raisins; let stand 20 minutes. Drain raisins; set aside.
- Stir together apple wedges, 1 cup sugar, orange rind, and vanilla extract.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apple mixture, and cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; stir in raisins. Cool.
- Stir together cookie crumbs, remaining 1 cup sugar, and pecans. Set aside.
- Unfold phyllo, and cover with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.
- Stack 4 sheets on a flat surface covered with wax paper, brushing each sheet with melted butter. Sprinkle with one-third crumb mixture. Repeat procedure 3 times with remaining phyllo, butter, and crumb mixture. Top with apple mixture, leaving a 2-inch border around edges. Fold in short sides 2 inches.
- Roll up, starting at long side. Place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet. Cut 1/4-inch-deep slits, 1 inch apart, across top. Brush strudel with butter.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Beat cream at medium speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add 1/4 cup powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Stir in brandy and nutmeg. Serve with warm strudel.