1/2 Photos of Autumn Apple Sponge Cake
I cut this recipe out of an Asda Magazine a long time ago. It's a favourite with the children when they were little they would pick the apples from their Gran's tree. It looks great, very autumnal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C
- 2Grease and line the base of a 20cm loose based round cake tin.
- 3Quarter the apples and cut out the core. Cut quarters into slices and put them into a small bowl with the lemon juice. Toss to mix and set aside.
- 4Sieve the flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- 5Add the butter, sugar, eggs, sultanas and lemon zest. Beat together with a wooden spoon for 3 to 4 minutes until well mixed.
- 6Put mixture in the cake tin and level the top.
- 7Drain the juice from the apples and put the slices neatly on the cake. See Photo.
- 8Bake for about 35 minutes - when you gently press on the top of the cake it should spring back.
- 9Take out of the oven and leave to cool before removing form the tin.
- 10I usually double the quantity and cook in a 23" round cake tin (deep). It's enough to feed an army - or a very hungry family at least!
- 11Alternative toppings use fresh pears or canned, drained pineapple or mandarin oranges.
- 12This cake is great served with a generous spoon of whipped cream / crème freche.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Apple Sponge Cake
Serving Size: 1 (117 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.8
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 79.8 mg
- Sodium 175.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 22.1 g
- Protein 3.9 g