Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
These can be enjoyed as a snack or for dessert. The best apples should be enjoyed in Fall!
- 2 tart cooking apples (such as Granny Smith or Jonathan)
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk (fat free or low fat)
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- shortening (for frying) or cooking oil (for frying)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Core apples and cut each cross-wise into 6 rings.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, lemon peel and baking powder.
- In a bowl whisk egg, milk and the cooking oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture, beat until smooth.
- Using a fork, dip apple rings into batter; drain off the excess batter.
- Fry 2 to 3 rings at a time in deep hot fat (365° F) for about 2 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat with the remaining apple rings. If desired, sprinkle the fritters with the additional powdered sugar. Cool then serve.