Recipe by Cooking to Perfection
Cupcakes great for picnics, lunch boxes, and afternoon snacks. Easy to prepare and easy to eat, these cupcakes are filled with grated apple and spices toped with a cream cheese frosting. (From Bake and Freeze Desserts by Elinor Klivans)
Top Review by mianbao
I'm so lucky! This recipe transformed my one leftover apple that nobody wanted into 12 delicious, moist spicy cupcakes with a sweet-tart frosting. I followed the recipe exactly as to ingredients and amounts, and found it very easy. There did seem to be a little more frosting than absolutely necessary, but I'm not complaining. Thank you for the recipe. I'll make these again.
- 1 cup peeled and grated granny smith apple (1 large apple)
- 1 tablespoon cognac or 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil or 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For cupcakes: Position rack in the middle of the oven-- preheat to 350* (F).
- Line 12 medium muffin tins with paper lining.
- Put grated apple in small bowl and stir with brandy.
- Put flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in large mixing bowl.
- Mix on low speed to combine ingredients.
- Mix in eggs, oil, vanilla, and apple mixture.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin tins, about 3 Tbsp.
- batter each.
- Bake 23-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- **Turnmuffin tins about 12 minutes into baking time to ensure cupcakes bake evenly** Cool cupcakes 5 minutes in pan.
- Transfer to wire rack and cool completely.
- For frosting: Put butter, cream cheese, and vanilla in mixing bowl; beat on medium speed for about 1 minute until mixture is blended and smooth.
- Decrease the speed to low, and gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- Beat until frosting is smooth.
- Spread frosting over cooled cupcakes.