1 hr 5 mins
I make this dessert a lot in the fall, and wasn't even going to post it until a friend called wanting to know how I make apple crisp, as she had just bought a big bag of apples. I honestly thought everyone could throw together an apple crisp, as it's a very forgiving recipe when it comes to measurements; it's easy to wing it. But, for everyone who wants to know or wants a recipe as a starting-point, here's how I make this classic, traditional autumn dessert. Sometimes I even add a handful of raisins in with the apples; depends on my mood. This is very easy to make; the only part that might give you any grief is peeling all those apples.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (see directions)
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup margarine, melted
- 1First, make topping by combining flour, oats, brown sugar and spice in a small bowl; drizzle melted butter over and then toss mixture together with a fork.
- 2Set aside.
- 3I am a big fan of the pumpkin-pie spice sold by Penzeys, which contains cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, mace and cloves, but you can use any spicing you wish for this--traditional would be to use only cinnamon.
- 4If your apples are at all tart, you may want to increase the brown sugar in the topping, as well as increase the white sugar mixed in with the apples; it's your call.
- 5As for the apples to use, I make this dessert a lot in the autumn when I always have lots of fresh macintosh apples around; it's also very good when made with northern spys.
- 6When topping is made and set aside, preheat oven to 375F and get out an 8-inch square baking pan.
- 7Peel, core and slice apples to get your 8 cups and place those directly in the baking pan.
- 8Sprinkle white sugar and juices over, and toss well.
- 9Sprinkle topping over entire surface of apples.
- 10Bake in preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes, or until bubbly and the apples are tender (poke with a fork).
- 11Let cool for a bit before eating; it's good warm or cool.
- 12I serve it warm, with vanilla ice cream.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Autumn Apple Crisp
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.6
- Calories from Fat 78
- Total Fat 8.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 61.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 38.5 g
- Protein 3.4 g