Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
Adapted from Taste of Home. This tasty little cake is crammed full of apple goodness! I substitute freshly ground whole grain flour for the all-purpose.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or 1 1⁄4 cups freshly ground soft wheat flour or 1 1⁄4 cups oat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in apples and nuts if desired.
- Spoon into a greased 8-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.