Recipe by Annacia
Buckles, simple streusel-topped cakes studded with fruit, are traditionally made with summer berries. Substitute tart apples, for a denser, more coffee-cake-like dessert.
Top Review by momaphet
This has a really nice flavor but I found thought there was too much apple with little cake and the moisture of the apples made the cake there was too mushy for me. I will try this again with and cut the apple in half. Made for PRMRT
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 2 lbs granny smith apples (peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- sweetened whipped cream, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan.
- MAKE THE CRUMB TOPPING:.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour with the brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and salt.
- Add the butter and process until the mixture resembles moist sand.
- Add the walnuts and pulse 3 times.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and press into large crumbs.
- MAKE THE BATTER:.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, ginger and salt.
- In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
- Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the honey.
- Add the lemon zest, vanilla and eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients in 2 batches, alternating with the half-and-half and beat at low speed until smooth.
- Fold in the apples.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake the buckle in the center of the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the topping is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 1 hour before unhinging the springform and removing the ring.
- Cut the buckle into wedges and serve with sweetened whipped cream.
- MAKE AHEAD:.
- The buckle can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.