1/3 Photos of Authentic Viennese Goulash (Wiener Fiakergulasch)
1 hr 30 mins
While goulash originated in Hungary, Vienna made it it's own. Dating back to the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, goulash became a staple of Austrian and particularly Viennese cuisine and can be found in any gasthaus throughout Austria. The secret to get this beautiful dark color is to saute the onions until very dark before adding the meat. Use hungarian paprika but don't let it burn, it will get bitter. In Vienna, Gulasch is served either with a fresh kaiser roll or bread dumplings called "Semmelknodel" and many time features a pickle as garnish.Good luck and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs marbled beef, cut in cubes
- 1 lb onion, diced
- 1/4 cup oil or 1/4 cup lard
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika, hot if desired
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups beef or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons flour, for slurry
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1Heat oil or lard in a heavy pot. Add onions and garlic and under constant stirring saute until very dark. Add salt.
- 2Add meat in batches, brown on all sides before adding next batch.Do not let the meat steam, raise the heat and add oil if necessary.
- 3Saute meat until browned on all sides, add paprika, stir until fragrant but watch out so it doesn't burn.
- 4Add broth, caraway seeds, majoram and tomato paste and simmer until meat is tender. Depending on the cut, this can take up to 2 hours.If it gets too dry, add some broth.
- 5When the meat is tender, make a slurry with the flour and a few ts of water and add little by little, checking on the thickness of the sauce.
- 6Simmer until the floury taste is gone and the sauce has the perfect consistency.
- 7Enjoy with spaetzle, dumplings or noodles.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Viennese Goulash (Wiener Fiakergulasch)
Serving Size: 1 (319 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2479.2
- Calories from Fat 2297
- Total Fat 255.3 g
- Saturated Fat 102.0 g
- Cholesterol 336.6 mg
- Sodium 708.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 30.1 g