1/1 Photo of Authentic Upstate Spiedies.
Way back in Upstate New York, in a small shoe town called Endicott, we have a regional "Kabob" style sandwich, called spiedies. If you have never tried one, your mouth is going to thank you. I have seen a lot a recipes trying to duplicate the variety sold at a local culinary pit stop called Lupo's. Some have come close, some miss by a mile. I think this one is the closest I have tried in long time. Originally they were marinated with lamb or pork. Chicken is my favorite. You will love them, or else Uncle Guido will have to talk to you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 907.18-1360.77 g boneless chicken breasts
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 59.14 ml lemon juice
- 59.14 ml white vinegar or 59.14 ml dry wine
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped or pressed)
- 14.79 ml dried parsley
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml garlic salt
- 14.79 ml mint leaf, crushed
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml cracked black pepper
- 1Dice chicken breasts into 1" cubes.
- 2Blend the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar or wine, garlic, parsley, basil, oregano, garlic salt, crushed mint leaf, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- 3Add chicken to the marinade, stirring. I like to bag it in zip lock bags (I always make a double batch so I can freeze some).
- 4This needs to marinate at least 24 hrs in the refrigerator. The acid content of the marinade tenderizes the chicken by "cooking" it to a degree.
- 5Skewer the meat on kabob sticks; grill until firm.
- 6Serve on sliced Italian bread, and God bless you if you can get Romas from upstate NY or Raliegh NC.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Upstate Spiedies.
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 643.9
- Calories from Fat 432
- Total Fat 48.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 438.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 47.8 g