Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Published for ZWT III. Another wonderful recipe which is simple to make and delicious....If you don't have a 'chipotle chile en adobo' the use a regular red jalapeno and 1/2tsp of smoked paprika.
- 1 chicken breasts or 3 chicken thighs, on the bone, with skin
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh epazote or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced (chile en adobo)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt and black pepper
- Simmer chicken, broth, epazote and chipotle chile in a pan over medium heat until just cooked - 12-15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and carrots and sauté for approx 5 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and sauté for a further minute.
- In same saucepan, add broth mixture and chickpeas, then cook for 20 minutes on medium heat with lid on.
- De-bone chicken shred the meat and add to the soup. Add juice of 1 lime and adobo, and add salt and black pepper, to taste.
Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup. We were divided on this one ~ DH & DD thought it was good and I didn't care for it. I like all the ingredients, but just didn't care for them in this combination.
Very Good!!!! I made 1/4 of the recipe using leftover recipe # 157384. I added chopped bell peppers along with the onions. Thanks for the yumminess!