Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Found this on one of the swiss culture sites. Apparently, Swiss Vacherin (Vacherin Fribourgeois) cheese makes this fondue. I found this cheese in whole foods ( gourmet cheese section). The recipe calls for french bread for dipping but i would imagine that vegetables would be good too. This can be made in the electric fondue pot also. Posted for zw7.
- 1 lb gruyere cheese
- 1 lb of vacherin cheese
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 2 loaves bread
- Grate all the cheese in one big bowl, mix well.
- Rub the inside of fondue pot with garlic.
- Put fondue pots on stove.
- Add 1 cup of white wine to pot.
- Add 1 tsp of corn starch - mix well.
- Add cheese.
- Mix constantly and gently with wooden spoon until cheese is completely melted.
- If fondue is still too thick, add a little more white wine, mix well.
- WARNING- do not add too much liquid- Can't undo!
- Light the burner on the table. Make sure everyone is ready to go! Fondue does not wait.
- Once all the cheese is melted and fondue is smooth, add a pinch of baking soda, mix, and bring fondue pot right away to table burner.
- Add black pepper to both bots and have everyone ready to dig!