4 hrs 30 mins
The original Mexicancomfort food... great to nurse a hongover after you celebrate too much on Saturday nights or to just enjoy anytime. We make this for the day after all of our parties, weddings, etc. You'll love it... WARNING: it is a tad bit on the spicy side, but not too bad! If you can eat at most mexican food restaurants without whining, this will be fine for you. If you think mild salsa is hot, maybe try this w/o the pequins and the cayenne. Please review! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs honeycomb beef tripe
- 1 1/2 lbs pork knuckles
- 8 quarts water
- 3 large white onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped roughly
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 lbs hominy, frozen
- 1 bunch green onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 6 dried chile pequins, seeds removed
- 2 (8 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 2 white onions, finely diced
- 2 bunches cilantro, chopped coarsely
- 10 limes, quartered
- 1Wash tripe thoroughly and cut into bitsize (1") pieces.
- 2Rinse knuckles and place in pot along with cut up tripe.
- 3Add water and bring to boil.
- 4Once boiling, add quartered onions, garlic, salt, oregano, red pepper flakes, pepper, green onions, japones, cayenne, and green chilies.
- 5Cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- 6Cook 3 hours until tripe is almost clear and jelly-like.
- 7Remove the knuckles, and when cool, remove the meat, chop it & return it to pot.
- 8Throw out bones from the knuckles.
- 9Stir in hominy and cook another hour with the pot covered.
- 10Serve with sides of chopped onion, cilantro, and lime quarters.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Sunday Menudo
Serving Size: 1 (755 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.3
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1788.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
honeycomb beef tripe
dried chile pequins