Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chunks of chicken simmered in a Mexican seasoned tomato sauce, pan fried in flour tortillas with white American cheese. My fiance says it is the closest to the flavor of our local Mexican restaurant. These are awesome and quick!
- 1 lb chicken breasts or 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) jar salsa (mild or hot)
- 5 canned jalapeno slices (chopped)
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 -6 flour tortillas
- 5 -6 slices white American cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Add tomatoes, broth, salsa, jalapeños, cumin, garlic, and salt to a medium size sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Chop chicken into small bite size pieces and add to boiling sauce. Turn heat immediately down to low- medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through. You can simmer for longer if you want more flavor infused into the meat.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of butter (or spray cooking spray) into a pan on medium low heat. Place cheese slice into center of flour tortilla. With a slotted spoon pick up chicken pieces and allow the juice to drain out. Place in center of tortilla and fold close. Cook tortillas about a minute on each side until golden brown and serve. Goes well with a guacamole salad.
The filling was very good, but the tortillas I used never really browned up very well. I will try using a different brand again, but the chicken, sauce and cheese were a winner!
It was good but very messy to eat. I must not have let the juice drain out enuf. My mom liked it tho but we left out the jalapeno.
We really love Tex Mex inspired dishes and this one was no disappointment. It was very simple to make and pleased the whole family. We used leftover shredded chicken, so simmering for a good length of time was perfect to let the sauce permeate the meat. We had to cut out the jalapenos to ensure it wasn't too spicy for us and just use a bit more spicy salsa to compensate. This is a nice addition to our Mexican recipe selections. Thanks for sharing if with us. =) PAC Fall '08