1/2 Photos of Authentic St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake
2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 45 mins
There are many great gooey butter cake recipes out there but this is different from the cake mix variety because it has a yeast dough bottom. I grew up eating these cakes from a little bakery in Clayton, Mo and this recipe is as close to those as I've ever come across.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1For Dough:.
- 2In large bowl cream sugar, shortening and salt until light and fluffy.
- 3Add egg and beat well 1 minute until well blended.
- 4Dissolve yeast in the warm milk.
- 5Add flour, then milk-yeast mix and the vanilla to the sugar mixture.
- 6Mix 3 minutes. (Use dough hook if possible).
- 7Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knead 1 minute.
- 8Place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with a towel.
- 9Set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour.
- 10Than divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
- 11Pat (or use a rolling pin)each half into a circle about the size of the cake pan. (I usually use two 9" cake pans. Springform pans can also be used.).
- 12Transfer dough to each pan and pat up the sides so the gooey butter doesn't run underneath.
- 13Prick a few times with a fork to keep from bubbling up during baking.
- 14For gooey butter:.
- 15In large bowl, combine sugar, butter and salt.
- 16Add egg and corn syrup.
- 17Mix enough to blend well.
- 18Add the flour, water and vanilla, mixing well.
- 19Divide the gooey butter in 2 equal parts.
- 20Spread over dough in each pan.
- 21Let stand for 20 minutes.
- 22While cakes are standing, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C).
- 23Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until topping starts to turn golden.
- 24Do not over bake or the topping will not be gooey.
- 25Let cakes cool completely on wire rack.
- 26Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
- 27Serve at room temperature and store uneaten cakes in fridge.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake
Serving Size: 1 (113 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 433.1
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 54.8 mg
- Sodium 173.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 36.0 g
- Protein 5.1 g