Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
While many North Americans think of tacos as having crisp, fried shells, authentic Mexican tacos are made with soft, fresh corn tortillas. The traditional preparation is the smart choice, as unfried corn tortillas are low in fat and made with whole grains. From MSN.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat and cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup prepared hot salsa, plus more for garnish
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sliced scallion
- queso fresco
- chopped fresh tomato
- reduced-fat sour cream, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 300°F Wrap tortillas in foil and bake until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, season chicken with salt. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat until very hot. Add chicken and cook, stirring until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring, until they start to brown around the edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño and cumin. Cook, stirring, until peppers are bright green but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Stir in salsa and reserved chicken. Cook, stirring, until chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Spoon into warmed tortillas and garnish with scallions, queso fresco, tomatoes and sour cream.
These yummy tacos were part of Menu #28779. I opted to grill the chicken then added to the veggies. Check out the menu to see the sides served with it. Gracia.;) Made for ZWT5
I made several changes to this recipe but felt I still stayed true to the original intent of it, though for us I had to make it much less spicy, because of how past radiation treatments have affected my husbands tastebuds. I started with the chicken left over from Recipe #229978. I sliced that up and set it aside. After sauteing my onion, I added in medium fresh salsa that had cilantro in it, with some chopped fresh tomatoes. I thought I had a pepper but discovered it had been eaten already. Because the chicken already had fresh garlic I didn't add any extra. I added the chicken pieces to the pan and then added cumin, pepper, garlic powder and some a little tabasco. I didn't add the jalapeno DH's sensitivity to overly spicy foods, instead I served it with a mixture of Recipe #69593 and Recipe #239431, so that we could each control how spicy our taco was. Because we were eating at seperate times, instead of heating up our tortillas in the oven we put them in the toaster on low, which works really well.