1/1 Photo of Authentic Spicy Chicken Tacos
While many North Americans think of tacos as having crisp, fried shells, authentic Mexican tacos are made with soft, fresh corn tortillas. The traditional preparation is the smart choice, as unfried corn tortillas are low in fat and made with whole grains. From MSN.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed of fat and cut into thin strips
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup prepared hot salsa, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sliced scallion
- queso fresco
- chopped fresh tomato
- reduced-fat sour cream, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 300°F Wrap tortillas in foil and bake until heated through, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, season chicken with salt. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large heavy skillet over high heat until very hot. Add chicken and cook, stirring until browned on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- 3Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add onion and cook, stirring, until they start to brown around the edges, 3 to 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño and cumin. Cook, stirring, until peppers are bright green but still crisp, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- 4Stir in salsa and reserved chicken. Cook, stirring, until chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Spoon into warmed tortillas and garnish with scallions, queso fresco, tomatoes and sour cream.
Browse Our Top South American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All South American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Spicy Chicken Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.3
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 65.8 mg
- Sodium 440.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 30.6 g