1/3 Photos of Authentic Sopa De Albondigas (Meatball Soup)
1 hr 15 mins
My MIL has been making this soup for my husband since he was a small child. Definitely comfort food in his book. Please do not pass this recipe of thinking its time consuming or complex. I promise if you think of it in two easy steps it really is simple. One of the tastiest soups I have ever had.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint (minced, AKA yerba buena)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (minced)
- 1 tablespoon white onion (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 ancho chilies
- 6 guajillo chilies
- 1 roma tomato
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 white onion (thinly sliced)
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 carrots (sliced in half lengthwise and then in bite size pieces)
- 1 chayote (chopped into bite size pieces)
- 1 red potatoes (diced in bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup green beans (ends snapped, then broken into bite size pieces)
- cilantro (to garnish)
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- 1Mix the meatball ingredients together in a bowl until combined. Shape the meatballs into walnut sized balls. Place the meatballs on a clean plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate until you are ready to cook them.
- 2Place the dry chilies, garlic cloves and tomato into a small sauce pan. Fill with water until the chilies are completely covered. Boil the chilies and tomato on medium high heat for 15 minutes. Cover and set aside.
- 3In a large stock pot, heat the oil. Saute the onions for 2 minutes. Add in the carrots and stir. Pour in the water, cumin, bouillon cubes, chayote, potatoes and green beans.
- 4While the soup is heating up, place the tomato, chilies and garlic in the blender with 2 cups of fresh water. Blend on high or 5 minutes.
- 5Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the blended chile into the stock pot scraping the bottom with a spoon. This may require two or three times (seeds and skins will get stuck so you may have to do this in two or so batches rinsing the sieve clean after each time.) Once you have strained all of the chile into the stock pot, stir and bring to a boil. Once the soup is boiling taste the soup and add salt if needed. Cook the soup for 15 minutes.
- 6Next, turn the heat down to medium low. Add in the meatballs one at a time until they are all in the pot. Gently stir the soup to make sure the meatballs are incorporated in with the broth and vegetables. Cover the soup and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- 7Serve the soup in bowls garnished with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Sopa De Albondigas (Meatball Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (705 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.5
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 170.5 mg
- Sodium 1473.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 28.2 g