Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is another recipe that my family has been making for ages. I grew up eating this before I ever had the kind with mayonnaise (which I also happen to love) I have approximated some of the amounts of the ingredients simply because the cooks need to find the right amount by tasting as they go along. Everyone who has tried my family's version has raved, being Italian or non. This also develops more flavor when it sits for a few hours or overnight. Just stir well before serving. One last thing... although I normally use red wine vinegar, I also use Balsamic, but balsamic can give the salad a brownish color that may not be as visibly pleasing, but still tastes wonderful!! Please note: This salad is intended to be slightly tart. Be careful when adding the vinegar. You may not want to use the full amount. Add gradually according to your taste.
- 6 -7 medium size potatoes
- 5 hard-boiled eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sliced radish
- 1 cup heart celery, sliced (with leaves)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar (approximate)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil (approximate)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (approximate)
- in a large pot boil potatoes and eggs until potatoes are fork tender.
- Rinse potatoes and chill well.
- Peel and dice potatoes into cubes and place in a large bowl.
- Slice peeled hard boiled eggs and add to the potatoes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix well being careful not to crush potatoes.
- Adjust amounts of wet ingredients as you go along to however you prefer tartness and moisture.
- Chill well and gently toss before serving.
- (allow time for chilling).