Recipe by CHRISSYG
The recipe was given to us by a co-worker of our son. I could just sit and eat the sauce it's so good! It makes a very thick sauce, but you can thin it to your liking. it's not as hot as you think it is (considering the base is jalapeno)
Top Review by celiavolpe
I really liked this recipe. It did taste very authentic. It seemed very hot but I guess it depends on your taste. I did add some lime juice and a bit more water because it did make a very thick sauce. I made this with the Cuban Style Pork Roast (Crockpot) and it was a good pairing.
- 1⁄2 lb jalapeno (stemmed and seeded)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro (packed)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- 2 medium onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or lard, if you wish for TRULY authentic recipe)
- 3 corn tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized saucepan, sweat out jalapenos, garlic and onion, until soft.
- Add cilantro, cook until it is wilted.
- Add just enough water to cover everything, and simmer about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the tortillas into small pieces.
- Add the tortilla pieces to the simmering mixture, and allow them to simmer another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to food processor, or blender (be very careful, it's hot) and blend until puree'd. (a stick blender works best, to do this rignt in the pot).
- Serve hot.