1/1 Photo of Authentic Russian/Ukrainian Borscht
2 hrs 30 mins
This is the real way to make Borscht. No canned veggies, no messing around. Just real hearty Borscht, the way my mother makes it. Good ingredients are key, especially the meat, which should be fresh and thick. Once you've had this Borscht, you will not be able to eat any other. For the non-kosher, try it au-natural, or with a nice spoonful of sour cream mixed in (please, not low fat, enjoy this!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 lbs beef, cubed (preferably with bones)
- 4 large beets, peeled and eighthed (or 6 average beets, quartered)
- 2 lemons
- 1 small head of cabbage, shredded (the smallest you can find)
- 2 large carrots, cut up as you like it (cubed, rounded, shredded, etc)
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 bunch dill, minced
- 1/2 cup instant chicken-style consomme soup and seasoning mix (I like Osem)
- 1To a large pot (I use 8qts), add the meat and enough water to fill up the pot to halfway.
- 2Remove all froth that comes up from the meat.
- 3Continue to boil on med-high until no more froth comes up.
- 4Reduce heat to low and add consomme mix, whole onion, dill, beats, cabbage, and tomato sauce.
- 5Fill with water, cover partially with lid, and let cook for 90min.
- 6After that hour and a half of cooking, make sure meat is soft - then add the carrots, and squeeze all the juice you can possible juice from the lemons into the soup.
- 7You can add the rice and/or potatoes at this point, if you like.
- 8Cook, partially covered, for another 30-45 minutes, until making sure the potatoes and carrots are tender, and the rice (if you put any in) is ready.
- 9The soup is great on day 1, but tastes much better on days 2-3.
- 10Enjoy the soup while it's very hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Authentic Russian/Ukrainian Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 543.8
- Calories from Fat 437
- Total Fat 48.5 g
- Saturated Fat 20.1 g
- Cholesterol 67.4 mg
- Sodium 268.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
instant chicken-style consomme soup and seasoning mix